Wired this way?

The theory that life favors entropy was one of the lessons from high school biology that stuck with me. Entropy's definition is: gradual decline into disorder. All cellular life follows this pattern. We can't be blamed for perpetually orchestrating chaos in our lives, because we're wired for it. Every story has a conflict, an antagonist, or a challenge that must be overcome. We're consumed with growth and progress, consciously or not. I believe this is the underlying reason that nothing sticks in my life: jobs, relationships, foundational moral and religious beliefs. I'm designed to favor the dissolution of all I build. Right? Can we rewire these tendencies to desire peace and stability, a consistently predictable and solid set of life circumstances? Biology would disagree. We're to be torn down and rebuilt, time and time again, until we are left a malleable lump of insecurity.
True to this theory, my life has been a continuous cycle of start a sales job, build my portion of the business rapidly, driving full-throttle with total effort, energy and enthusiasm until burn-out or lack of compensation for the overblow efforts, then I chase the latest sales pitch promise somewhere else. Just prior to benefitting from the hard work and settling into a comfortable routine, I'm enacting the universal law of entropy to dissolution and the fresh start at the bottom of a new job. It's the same with relationships. As soon as feelings penetrate to a level of intimacy with long-term potential, I run or sabotage, so I can begin the building process (and the hard work) with someone new.
Maybe it's triggers of the past betrayals that surfaced only after settling into that place of comfort, so I'm enacting an impenetrable defense strategy to prevent a future betrayal, or it's nature's entropy. Either way, I'm tired of fruitless building and loss time. Let the re-wiring begin.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grow Your Friends

Learning to Live with Lyme